28.7.10

i think this will be untitled

The last time I went for a funeral was way back in 1997, when my grandmother passed on.

I remember dad came to pick me up from school in the middle of the week, saw him talking to the warden with a serious face. I thought I did something wrong and that the warden requested my dad to get me out hence dad's unexpected turn-up. I don't remember him breaking the news to me when I got into the car. It was not until we were halfway home. We went straight to my grandparents' house.

I remember (my late) Nenek's body lying stiff in the hall, covered with a cloth from head to toe. I remember we sat around her. I remember reading the Yaasin and fighting back tears. I remember reading the Yaasin and crying cause it was so hard to not cry. I remember holding her cold hands when we bathed her. I remember kissing her for the last time before they fold up the kapan cloth. I remember the last glimpse of her body before Nenek was laid to rest.

Last Monday, I saw sons and daughters going through the same thing. I saw grandchildren kissing their grandpa for the last time. Some were crying, some were not. Probably too young to understand what was happening.

Mom cried for a dear uncle who left. I cried because mom cried. I cried because I felt for their loss. Most of all I cried because I fear of losing.

Mom held my hands throughout the funeral. I looked at mom's old wrinkly hands, this old fragile person is my only pillar of strength. I cried even harder.

Al-Fatihah to Tok Lah and Nenek. May their soul rest in peace, and may Allah bless them.

Allahummaghfirli waliwalidaiyya, warhamhuma kama rabbayaani saghira. Amin ya rabbal 'alamin..

Sent by Maxis from my BlackBerry® smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment