I received an unexpected phone call last Saturday. It was from Diana, one of the kid at an orphanage that I went to couple of weeks back to share some Ramadhan love. She was calling from a relative's phone so I called her back right away.
The call was truly a pleasant surprise. I mean, I remember leaving feeling like a rockstar with the kids swarming around asking for my 'autograph', but I really didn’t expect them to really call..
I have always loved doing charity work. Volunteering to be exact. It's the least I can do since I don't have all the money in the world to contribute. But never before have I volunteered for orphanage or old folks' home because I.. get emotional easily and Ican be such a crybaby am not that strong. -_-
The first ten minutes I got there, I was truly awkward - not knowing what to ask and what not to ask when making conversation. I wanted to know their life story but I couldn’t just ask how they lost their parents, or how did they end up there. I was overwhelmed with sympathy and empathy for these kids aged 4 to 12, I had to scoot to a corner and called SalmonKhan telling him that I might humiliate myself for crying for no reason in front of these kids. He told me not to cry and reminded me that the reason I am there is to make them smile. Felt a lot better after the conversation and with that in mind, things got better afterwards.
I got to know Diana and her group of friends while waiting for buka puasa. Most of them still have brothers and sisters and they are all sent to different homes. They said they will be transferred to another orphanage when they reach 13. They asked me about my mom, my dad, my siblings and how I celebrate Raya. They listened to my story enthusiastically and every single time I finish telling them about my mom, my dad, my siblings and the way I usually celebrate Raya, they went "Wah bestnya.." Then they told me how they wished they could celebrate Raya with their own parents, wearing brand new clothes and eating rendang together with their family, ending it with "Best kan, kak?", I swear I could almost see a longing infused with hopes in their eyes. Tell me that isn’t heart breaking and tears inducing..? :(
We were there for iftar and terawih. Probably the only terawih I did this Ramadhan -_- hahaaa. Didn’t eat much during iftar cause all of us were busy attending to the kids. Tiredness and hunger only sunk in on the way home. But the experience made all energy and time worth spending.
The call was truly a pleasant surprise. I mean, I remember leaving feeling like a rockstar with the kids swarming around asking for my 'autograph', but I really didn’t expect them to really call..
I have always loved doing charity work. Volunteering to be exact. It's the least I can do since I don't have all the money in the world to contribute. But never before have I volunteered for orphanage or old folks' home because I.. get emotional easily and I
The first ten minutes I got there, I was truly awkward - not knowing what to ask and what not to ask when making conversation. I wanted to know their life story but I couldn’t just ask how they lost their parents, or how did they end up there. I was overwhelmed with sympathy and empathy for these kids aged 4 to 12, I had to scoot to a corner and called SalmonKhan telling him that I might humiliate myself for crying for no reason in front of these kids. He told me not to cry and reminded me that the reason I am there is to make them smile. Felt a lot better after the conversation and with that in mind, things got better afterwards.
I got to know Diana and her group of friends while waiting for buka puasa. Most of them still have brothers and sisters and they are all sent to different homes. They said they will be transferred to another orphanage when they reach 13. They asked me about my mom, my dad, my siblings and how I celebrate Raya. They listened to my story enthusiastically and every single time I finish telling them about my mom, my dad, my siblings and the way I usually celebrate Raya, they went "Wah bestnya.." Then they told me how they wished they could celebrate Raya with their own parents, wearing brand new clothes and eating rendang together with their family, ending it with "Best kan, kak?", I swear I could almost see a longing infused with hopes in their eyes. Tell me that isn’t heart breaking and tears inducing..? :(
We were there for iftar and terawih. Probably the only terawih I did this Ramadhan -_- hahaaa. Didn’t eat much during iftar cause all of us were busy attending to the kids. Tiredness and hunger only sunk in on the way home. But the experience made all energy and time worth spending.
Sigh.. At this point of my life, I think I am ready to let go of the material world (read: quit my job) and become a full time volunteer. I am still waiting for the right opportunity. *wink wink nudge nudge at MAC*





No comments:
Post a Comment